Quality of learning in group

After last week's workshop on 'Learning in groups', the group activity I chose for my class 6 learners was to enact an English Mythological story on Arjuna as a drama. The groups were divided based on the number-head system of grouping. The class was so excited that they followed most of the 'ground rules' that were laid out in the preparatory classes before the drama. I realised that learners too, no matter what the age is, respond better to reason than threat. The first session of the drama was today. It went very well, with a lot of confusion and excitement. The class, on the whole, was able to remember the part of story enacted today, because, they related the characters played, to their classmates and not to their textbooks.
This gave me the proof to one of the points that was discussed in our workshop "sometimes, learners learn better from their teammates than from the teachers."
The end of my session was peppered with how one of the girls played the role of Bhishma should have a beard, how she did not look like a grandfather etc... , giving me ideas to do better when I organize the next play for my class.
My learners taught me this today- “When we engage in what we are naturally suited to do, our work takes on the quality of play and it is play that stimulates creativity.”

0 Comment/s:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.