"My most memorable day as a teacher!"

This is one line every teacher would love to comment on .... and I am not any different from the others.
My most memorable day as a teacher was when I started to teach Prof. Rajeswari Chatterjee, who in her own capacity was a great teacher and had retired as chairperson of the Electrical engg department a long time ago from IISC. It was about seven years ago and she called me to teach her how to work with computers and write short stories using Microsoft word. I was spell bound at the call as I was getting this fantastic opportunity to teach a great teacher herself .So my oldest or should I say the most youngest student was of 80 years.
When I started with my first class all she said was " neenu nanna teacher ivathininda ( You are my teacher from today )"and that statement meant a lot to me as I was just a baby in the teaching world and she was already a master at teaching. The irony was I would always call her Madam, and she would reply by saying yes madam, all the time I was teaching her . It took her a lot of classes to completely and confidently start using the computer. She was actually completing an assignment of the creative writing class she had taken up that summer at US when she visited her daughter.
I used to demonstrate how to use the icons and then the short cuts to her and she would promptly write down every step in a big book that she had sewed up of old paper from books.I found that so very interesting as every student old or young finally starts with writing down things. She would always tell me that she would not remember once I left her place ,and that since she was OLD ( I would never agree with this one) she had to write it down to help her memory.
My experience went on for almost 6 months and I had the most memorable experience as I learnt a lot of lessons about life for a class on technology. Madam passed away on Friday 3rd Sep2010 but the memories I have had from my teaching experience will always stay with me and guide me through out .
Thanks to Madam I got the opportunity to become a good teacher !!!.
                  
                    Photo of: Rajeswari Chatterjee
      My dearest Chatterjee Madam.
Thank you for teaching me to be  a good teacher. I will always remember you and miss you a lot!!!


0 Comment/s:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.