Differentiation

I teach grade I and one of the major challenges for me has been to integrate children of varied learning styles in the classroom. We get prepared question papers for assessments, so there was not much I could do except give some visual or verbal cues to children who find it difficult to answer questions.
Last week I had a buffer day to revise the concept "Being Verbs". It turned out to be a refresher course for me in setting a question paper. I had divided the class into 3 levels-The high achievers; The average students and The slow learners. I had set 3 different papers. The objective of my lesson was that children will be able to identify a being verb(am, is, are, was, were, has, have) in a given sentence and also fill in the blanks with the right being verb choosing from a set of options.
For my slow learners all questions were based on identifying and selecting the right option.
eg: Meera and I ___ reading a book.(am, is, are)-fill the blank with the right option.
The average learners had the same question without the options.
The high achievers also had the same question without options but in addition they had to make another sentence with the being verb.
After the assessment I could see the whole class was happy. The slow and average learners were happy to have answered most of the questions and the high achievers were happy that there was a challenge element.
I was happy that the learning outcome of the entire group matched the objective set at the beginning of the lesson and the children who usually finish their tasks quickly and disturb others were occupied for an entire 35 minute period.
Thanks to cidtt.

0 Comment/s:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.