Strategies for active learning

We have already been acquainted with the fact that 'active learning' is need of the hour,but how to make it happen successfully,was a question which had been tinkling my mind for quite a while. Well,the session on 'Tools for teaching' by Asha assisted in satisfying my quest and had a lot to contribute to my bank of knowledge.

KWL sheet was an absolutely new concept for me.I found it very convincing and practical for tracking the progress of the learner and it also provides feedback to the teacher as to how effectively she has imparted knowledge to the learner.
Then gradually we were introduced to the 7 strategies for active learning and I found them to be very interesting.Previously,I had never imagined that 'questioning' (in the form of jeopardy,20 questions ,muddiest and clearest point)could be used so effectively in class.
Questioning from the teacher always scares the learner but if the learner is allocated that task,at the first step itself the element of threat is removed from his mind and he is much more able to comprehend the concepts taught in class.Moreover, it also leads to the development of higher order thinking skills.
The only strategy which didn't convince me completely was 'active reading-SQ3R.I always felt that first reading of the topic should be complete from the first line to the last,and then it should be in chunks according to the requirement of the questionnaire.
Well, may be further practice would help me understand this better!!

0 Comment/s:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.