Training Session 1

The first session that is the induction program made me aware of the effective ways of learning . I was also happy to meet others who were keen on going on this self introspective journey .

Workshop content - part 1

Learnt what being brain - friendly was .

1. Relaxed Alertness - Safety , no-stress , no threat , absence of fear , stability and familiarity , desire for exploration , turst and comfort levels , how to arouse curiosity .

2. Active processing - create opportunities for students to think and talk
3. Orchestrated Immersion - Engage mind , body and emotions . Pay attention to physical comfort , use posters , films , music etc . Provide real life experiences .

Learning happens internally and not because of what the teacher does .


characteristics of successful learning

for e.g

singing ghazals

reasons

1. indentifying the talent early
2. had a great support system
one on one based teachers attention
encouragement and praise
genuine interest
emotional anchor

characteristics of unsuccessful learning

for e.g

Driving

reasons

1. Fear
2. Poor spatial abilities
3. Impatient teachers
4. Lack of ineterst
5. No need to drive as have a comfortable lifestyle

2 Comment/s:

Asha Arul said...

That was really fast :I am glad to hear about the CIDTT diploma. it would be fantastic to know how you applied these learnings in your training situation ?

Sonali Malhotra said...

A client of mine had to be taught basics of wardobe management . He already felt outdated and frumpy and had lost confidence . I ineterviewed him some more and he told me that he had a decent job with a multi national company and was scared of being in a new city as he hails from a small town . I told him that I would take him to the Mall . At first I found out that he didnt know how to use the escalator but despite people staring I coaxed him to go up and down a few times . He was finally relaxed . On my part I ahd to learn his background and be patient as he got ready to enjoy a shopping experience . The subject matter was still a long way away but we were accomplishing a pre learning environment and getting comfortable by minimising stressors at the Mall . I did not label him at any given time . He kept hesitating to try something new and I kept encouraging him . We finally entered the Mens section . I told him to find an assistant and I observed the way he talked to the assisstant and came up with a capsule wardobe for the work place . I interjected suggestions like how he ought to ask the assistant for price labels , how to maintain clothes , colours etc . At one point I found that he had gained some confidence as he stopped blushing everytime he emerged from the trial room . I kept an eye on how the entire shopping episode was going but had allowed my client to make his own choices . In the end I instructed him towards the cash counter . Onour way out I suggested he visit the designer stores as well . On our return back to the classroom I asked him to compare a shopping episode at a Mall versus one done at a designer store . He compared the quality and drew his own conclusions . The aim of the lesson was to look professional through immaculate dressing and he learnt why good grooming is necessary and how he can apply it to his daily life .
I can do these kind of creative experiential activities on an individual basis .
My challenge is when I have to do a topic like grooming in a group / classroom .
Maybe you have some ideas ?

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.