Rediscovering ............

Yesterday's workshop on 'Learning in groups' had me thinking at the beginning of the session " how do I organise group work within the time period, when we as adults took much longer to do the same activities meant for the learners?"
My notion was very quickly modified, as , half a day into the session, I realised that it was the mindset and the creativity of the teacher that mattered while organising group work. I also gathered that it is the quality of the activity that counts. In the end, all that matters is how well have your learners responded to it. The most important feature of any group work is that it should be enjoyable, motivating and at the same time, educational. I hope to make the next session in Science all of the above for my learners. Also, it was amazing to discover that I enjoyed all the group activities in the workshop, after all these years of serious studies(!!). The gist of the entire day for me was: "As a teacher,you can make learning enjoyable and worthwhile" and a teacher should always 'rediscover the learner' within self, for Charles Handy said 'The world by and large has to be reinvented.'


3 Comment/s:

Sojo Varughese said...

The session on "learning in groups" was quite innovative. Having joined the education stream 1.5 years ago, I have often wondered whether things would change in terms of facilitating learning. With a background in the corporate sector team work has always been of paramount importance. It was nice to understand similar strategies being used in classrooms. The concept of laying "ground rules" for team work is quite appealing. I tried the same with my daughter and her playgroup ( 4 years old!!). This was a group size of 7 kids and were given the opportunity to show and tell...could range from a story to a rhyme to dancing! The 2 ground rules that were clearly explained to them was about taking turns and not interrupting another's performance. It worked well. I really enjoyed myself after a long time during her play activity and was pleased that this aspect of group work - i.e. laying rules worked well in an informal evening time activity with the 4 year olds!

Sojo Varughese said...

thank you for sharing your thoughts.................

Sojo Varughese said...

It is good to see both the students and the teacher excited about the same thing

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading. We value your comments, feedback and questions on this post. Please feel free to share your views.